Sunday 7 April 2013

Testimony

Well as Thursday approaches, I’m looking forward to a special day; my 28th birthday!! I love celebrating birthdays, and I’ve had some really enjoyable ones through the years. From weird and wonderful home made cakes, to full on 21st parties and precious time spent with friends. And then the presents! What wonderful presents; far too many to name.....but all of them greatly received.

But I thought it was time to write about a more important birthday, the one that celebrates the day I trusted Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of my sin. I don’t know an actual date, but I do know where I was, how old, and why. 

This for those who don’t know it, is my testimony.

“Truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again”.


Firstly, I was 7 years old, and for as long as I can remember had been taken along to “church” as I knew it. Now of course I know that the name refers to the “people and not the steeple”, the Christians who go and not the building they meet in. I had for a long time been under the impression (wrongly) that I was safe in the knowledge that I was going to heaven one day, based on the fact that my parents took me everywhere with them. But aged 7, during a week of children’s meetings which I think were taken by Jim McMaster, I understood for the first time that wasn’t the case. Throughout the week we learnt the verse John 3:16 (which is a lot of the reason why the John 3:16 day event was so close to my heart – Sowing), and I eventually realised that I needed to trust in the work of Calvary for myself.  Just as my parents wouldn’t be taking me to heaven, I likewise wouldn’t be going to a lost eternity with them.....I’d be on my own. 
I had to have personal faith, in the sacrificial death of Jesus for me and the sins I had done.



So one night during the week (unknown to me the night after my best friend Sarah had been saved) I went home and kneeling by my bed, confessed my sins to God; acknowledged with my simple understanding that I was guilty before a Holy, all seeing God and believed that Jesus died to pay for them. I experienced immediate happiness and I wanted to phone everyone I knew. Sometimes I wish I could have bottled that joy. How I could do with it on so many occasions, to go back to that point in time when I appreciated what I had been saved from, and blessed with. Quick question....Have you had a moment like this? Not necessarily knowing the date or time, but definitely having done it yourself? I hope you have, and if you haven’t, now is a great time to!



What next? Surely I went on to be an amazing Christian, missionary, evangelist? Sadly not. I wasted 7 years (And many more in the future), as I thought I had done enough. I had ticked the all important “Salvation” box, and anything else was a bonus. That idea would change very quickly when I was 14. Sitting in my cousin’s lounge, people took it in turns to explain when they got baptised and why. It came round to me, and I didn’t have an answer. Worse still, I had no excuse. So, I plucked up the courage a few weeks later to ask to be baptised, which I eventually was with a very good friend Stuart, and we came into fellowship the weekend after. Since then, my bible reading and study has been sporadic at best, and my devotion to the Lord fluctuates more often than I’d like, but my Saviour and Lord has never failed me. 
He is always there, always willing, always encouraging. I’m so pleased that my salvation has never been based on how I live or how good I am. I’m saved forever because of the precious shed blood of the Son of God, shed so many years ago because of His unfailing love. (If you want to know more about what He did, you can read it here - Suffering Saviour.)



Why did I need a second birth though?

Jesus told a Pharisee named Nicodemus that “Truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again” John 3:3 (ESV). Heaven is only for those who are “Born again”. Nicodemus naturally exclaimed “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!” John 3:4 (ESV). Jesus however wasn’t speaking about physical birth. We are all born once, and we all die once, just like our original ancestors Adam & Eve. But they had sinned against God, and the effects of that sin has passed down through every generation of humanity since. The second birth then is a spiritual birth, moving from the physical inheritance of sin & future judgement, to the spiritual inheritance of heaven, forgiveness of sins and being right with God. This is done by two things. Firstly, God put the payment down for sin by punishing His own Son Jesus in our place. Secondly, its dependent upon a person responding with faith in what He did. That, is in essence what I did 21 years ago; I believed for the first time that I needed to be saved, that I could be saved, and that Jesus alone could do it. There are many things that I regret in life, but trusting Jesus Christ, and being born again has never been one of them!


Are you able to celebrate being born again?


2 comments:

  1. Some people think testimony means sharing a miracle or sharing something extraordinary event that happened in your life but I really like how simply you have faith in God and surely God loves that .... thanks for encouraging with simple words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated Birthday, or Christday :)

    May God's Holy Spirit continue to bless, keep, refresh and use you.

    ReplyDelete