Tuesday 8 January 2013

SinLESS

How uncomfortable does guilt make us feel? Imagine being the very first person to feel it?

"Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this that you have done?" (Gen 3:13 ESV)

If you've started the year following a daily reading plan of some sort, I'm sure you've already come across the creation account in genesis, and the fall of Mankind into sin. Imagine what was going through Eve's mind as God said these words - "What have you done?" (paraphrased). She was experiencing guilt for the first time. Feelings of shame that were unusual to her. She stood with her husband, both newly aware they were naked, before God. Adam and Eve had broken the one command God had given them. Eve had allowed the devil to deceive her and both of them had allowed the forbidden fruit to become something worth having over obeying God.

That happens in my life all too often. Things that my mind tells me aren't too bad, or won't have any long term repercussions. Things I can do, or think that no one will know. That's not to say I haven't heard and read about God's omnipresence; but in that moment, I live as though He doesn't exist! That he can't see.

Once it's too late and the moments past forever, never to be changed, the feelings of guilt suddenly come. The conscience is pricked, and we feel naked before the Almighty God. Imagine if every time we sinned, we heard the voice of God say "what is this you have done"? Would it make us stop to think the next time? To consider where I go, what I do, or what I allow my mind to dwell on?

In 2014, I know I will never achieve "sinlessness" or perfection. Only Jesus Christ was and could be Sinless, but I should certainly aim to "Sin LESS". We should hate sin when we do it and always try to stop. Eve's actions would have a destructive effect on humanity forever, but "where sin abounds, Grace does much more abound" (Romans 5:20 KJV). God has been far more gracious toward us than we could have ever deserved. He has chosen to see us as having the "Righteousness of Christ", instead of the sins of ourselves.

When we do sin, it's encouraging to know that "If anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." (1 John 2:2 KJV)

Let's try to be "Sin-LESS" today!

Just a few simple questions to ask ourselves:
1. Do I allow other people to have a negative effect on my life, even to the point of breaking God's commands?
2. Do I keep short accounts with God when I sin?
3. Since I've become a Christian, do I recognise sin in my life more easily?

2 comments:

  1. Challenging article Dan, our response to sin should be aligned to how God sees it! I've subscribed to your email feed, get subscribed to www.thebelieversblog.org
    Every blessing,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark. I think I already am!? Dan

    ReplyDelete