Tuesday 30 January 2018

The door has opened...

As I write this, I’m 24 hours off leaving my home for 6 weeks, starting the long travel to eventually arrive in Camundambala, Angola. And to be honest, I can’t wait!

The last few months have dragged on as I’ve waited for confirmation of a visa, booked for and had jabs, found insurance and bought tools. Excitement has been swapped for nervousness and back again. I’ve tried to picture what it will look like, what the food will be like, how hot it will be and how much work we can do in the time. I’m helping Jonathan and Ruth Singleton in the building of a school and anything and everything else I can possibly fit in. I want to experience as much of life in Angola (and ultimately Africa), as I possibly can. 

The first reason why is because this trip has been a long time coming. It’s not the first time I’ve hoped to visit Africa to help. I’d tried 7 years ago to go, and the answer was “no”. I tried again 3 years ago to go to Zambia, and it was also “no”. Though it meant accepting God’s timing and will wasn’t matching mine, I was content. But now, all of the doors seem to have opened, and I’m standing on the very edge of my trip with a real sense of excitement and adventure, and feeling firmly grounded in the knowledge that this time, God has said “yes”. 

I’ve thought about the snakes, bugs, spiders and any other wildlife that will share the local vicinity with me. The language barrier (for anyone who isn’t trained up in the “Geordie” accent) and cultural differences. But most of all, the second reason for wanting to go for so long, is to hopefully through the experiences grow closer to my God. I don’t feel that in the western world I honestly pray for “daily bread” like the Lord encouraged His disciples to. I buy it. Sometimes I use cash, sometimes card. Because of our wealthy society, I feel as though it encourages an unthankful spirit. My hope is that I will learn true dependence, and my faith will deepen and ultimately my thankfulness will be genuine. When the trappings of materialism is removed, what’s left? When the bare essentials of life are all you have, does it make you happy? Can Jesus be all we need? And ultimately, just how real can God be? 

One thing I’ve learnt so far is how generous God’s people are, and how God uses them to meet His purposes. Thank you to everyone who has helped towards the costs, it’s certainly appreciated. 

I hope you’re interested to hear how I get on. Feel free to share your own experiences with me, particularly those who have left the western world and visited Africa. Feel free to get in touch as well to encourage me as I lie in the dark trying not to hear what’s outside the door! Ha ha. I’m not sure what I’ll learn, or who I’ll meet or what we’ll get up to.... but I honestly just can’t wait! 

In Him
Dan



No comments:

Post a Comment