Thursday 23 May 2013

Evangelism



I didn't plan to do another post for a few weeks, but this subject captured my imagination. This is the first blog post which I've written that is born out of a simple questionnaire. Sometimes I get curious, and on one particular day this week I was thinking about when people are saved and what influences it? Does evangelism work, and who does it work on and when? I asked the following two questions:

1) How old were you when you became a Christian?

2) Where were you when you got saved?

Before I look at the responses, and what they indicate to us, let me leave a little disclaimer. This is not a 100%, definitive questionnaire. It doesn't allow for the person's upbringing, background, location or in some case what type of church group/ camp etc they attended. There were 105 people who took part, and it was quite a diverse group of people, but It doesn't account for everyone.

The answers fell into 4 groups, people became Christian's when they were:
  • Children (Aged 4 - 10) - 55%
  • Teens (Aged 11 -18) - 29%
  • Young Adults (Aged 19 - 30) - 8%
  • Adults (Aged 31 - 99) - 9%
But I just want to look at the first two, Children and Teens.

The "children" section (which includes me) is by far the largest, with most children becoming Christians between 5 - 8 years old. Of the 58 people saved as children, 76% of them said they were saved at home. (19% of them said they were saved at a church event; either Sunday school or childrens meetings). What we can assume from these numbers is that hearing the gospel as a child is a great thing! Children as young as 4 became Christians, children I would suggest come from Christian homes who have seen, heard and believed Godly example of Christian parents.

I hope that encourages any current parents, future parents and Sunday school leaders! Parents, do you take your children to church? Do you allow them to go to Sunday school, youth groups and gospel meetings? Do you read and pray with them? I urge you to keep going, It really works! I myself was saved at a Childrens meeting at the age of 7. Most of the children heard the gospel at organised meetings, but it was interesting how many mentioned parents and grandparents who had influenced them towards salvation. Its vital that Christian parents (Which I'm not, but hope to God willing be one day) not only encourage children to attend gospel efforts, but provide a good example at home and create an environment that encourages a love for and understanding of the Saviour. Keep on going!

Paul wrote to Timothy and said "as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures,which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." (2 Tim 3:14-15 NIV)

Children who are raised with bible stories, praying parents, childrens meetings and hearing the gospel are more likely to be saved.



Teens
Then, there are the teens. There were 30 people who became Christians in their teenage years. Again, 40% trusted the Lord while they were at home, but I'm fairly sure that the influence of church events (Which accounted for 20%), and camps (33%) lead to many of them being saved later on at home. 

Again, I encourage any parents to keep allowing/ urging your children to attend gospel work at church and go to gospel camps. Even teenagers who had heard the gospel since childhood came to trust the Lord in their teens. Hearing the gospel many times isn't a bad thing, and on any such occasion a person can be convicted to be saved. Keep on going!


KEEP ON GOING!


What about the rest? Here is a quick break down of the older people.
19-30 Year olds 8%
31-99 Year olds 9% (17 people in total)
Interestingly 59% of them were saved at church organised events. Do you have a bible course, coffee morning, gospel meeting, mother and toddlers? Adults, some even in their 30's (and one in his 60's!) are being saved. Keep on going!

While this post isn't particularly well written or presented, I hope it shows simply that God still saves. There is no formula, and no guarantees. We don't know when or if a person will be saved, but we do know that it's still possible! Have you a young child? Keep going! Are they teenagers now? Its not too late, keep going! Are they adults? Until the moment they die, they can still be saved.....Keep on going! Keep praying that God blesses our families, churches and countries with salvation.

What If you're reading this and you aren't a Christian? If you couldn't fill this questionnaire? Please take the time to read My Testimony (Why and how I became a Christian) and see the explaination there. If you weren't one of the people who sent me their answers, why not answer them in the comment box below? I'd love to hear your story! 

I hope this is an encouragement. - Dan Bilton

3 comments:

  1. We know that it is the Holy spirit who works and convicts those who come to come to salvation. But it is a great encouragement to know that we as Parents, sunday school teachers or friends may be used by the Lord in order to be a means in which this is accomplished. From what you've shown us Dan it's clear that the Lord delights in bringing children to salvation at a young age and the duty that a parent or teacher of these children has in regard to this is evidently great. Also great to see that the Lord saves people of all ages and there is always hope of salvation for family members and friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, Thank you for posting this! It is exactly the motivation I needed. I came to Christ when I was 23. When I was 28 I stepped away from God. I don't even remember why. During my brief time away from God I met and married a Jewish man. We have 3 children, ages 10, 12,14. Their father neither shares nor respects my Christian beliefs and has not allowed me to take them to church. Marrying him was the worst mistake I ever made...it saddens me to know that my children are suffering because of my mistake. I do try to witness to them, though. They know I read the Bible and have devotional/worship time. I also wear a cross, much to my husband's disgust. I know that God can work through my witness to bring my children, and possibly even their father, to Christ. Your post has encouraged me to try harder to share the Gospel with my family. THANK YOU SO MUCH, DAN!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, thank you so much for your comment! I'm so thankful that you have left it. I'm sorry to hear about the situation you're in, and will make it a matter of prayer. The bible tells us that Godly spouses can win ungodly ones by their faith & lifestyle. Keep on witnessing to them as best as you can. I write my blog for people in your situation, who aren't able to meet as Christians with others, and maybe feel alienated. I have written 26 on vairious subjects. I think you may find them helpful to read and think about. Please feel free to comment on them and enjoy some Christian fellowship. Yours in His precious name. Dan

      Delete