Sunday 6 January 2013

Moving Forward



Hi. I'm Dan Bilton, a born again Christian from Newcastle, England. Having seen several encouraging blogs, and thinking it might be something which would help me, and in turn encourage others, I thought I'd give it a go. This is my first ever blog, and as I'm new to it, what better subject to have than the New Year? I'm sure it's not going to be great, but you've got to start somewhere!

2012 saw some changes in my life. Many ups and downs. Happy times, and times of much sadness. There were some wonderful new people that came into my life, and several who left for different reasons. Some people pushed me towards God, and others took me away from Him. One thing I learnt though, was that God is faithful. Through it all, He was faithful. He challenged me, encouraged me, listened to me, and when I listened to Him.......He spoke to me. He actually spoke....to Me! 

How humbling to think the God of Heaven would give me the time of day!


The Christian life is so often one of peaks and troughs, spiritual highs, and worldly lows. Our gaze is flickering between the glory of Heaven, and the depths of sin. One verse which helped me so much through last year was "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." (Heb 12:1-2). 
How apt that in the year in which London hosted such an excellent Olympic games, that a verse about running and removing unnecessary weights was important. As a Christian, I carry too much baggage. So much sin. Often its in the form of anxiety, worry, doubt and disbelief. However it may be addictions, worldly lusts and pleasure, or the bad influences that we allow to speak into our lives. 

This year, with your help and accountability, I'd love to remove some of those negative things. I want my walk with the Lord to be freer, more Spirit led and less self absorbed. I want to be an encouraging Christian, an example for other believers to see Jesus Christ in me. I know this isn't natural, easy or humanly possible. Thankfully though, we are able to live in the power of God, a life lived in and with Jesus Christ. 


Will I succeed? Will I be able to last the whole of 2013? That's my hope. It's what I'm praying for. Please let me know your thoughts, whether good or bad. Encourage me, challenge me, follow me and guide me. The Christian life is much more fun when we all walk it together!! So leave a comment, share a post, tell your friends.....but whatever you do, don't walk alone!

May God bless you in 2013. As for me I'm MOVING FORWARD!



No comments:

Post a Comment