Wednesday 9 January 2013

SECURE



Hi. Time for another blog I think. Don’t know about you lot reading them, but I’m enjoying writing them.

Back in November, I spent a Saturday with my family visiting some of the castles in Northumberland. We didn’t go into any of them. Didn't hear the history of them. Didn’t even visit the gift shops! Oh no. My brother had a new camera, and they were his ‘subjects’ to practice on. However, I did take some photos of my own, which I've used for this blog. It’s Bambourgh Castle in Northumberland (England)

I couldn’t help thinking of the description of God, which I found was in Psalm 18 (as well as 6 other places in psalms) The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” There is no one who can provide as much security to us as the Lord Jesus Christ.


When a person becomes a Christian, by confessing their sin (disobedience towards God), and believing in the sacrificial death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, they are described as being “In Christ”. Here’s just a few simple thoughts about the benefits of being in that “SECURE” position.


The first thing I noticed about the castles, is that they were all set up at a height. Usually they had a moat, steep mound up to the walls, and other strategic defences. For anyone to make an attack, they would have to go up high to the castle. If we are enjoying the benefits of being “blessed in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places” (Eph 1:3) as we should be, and are trying to “seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God” (Col 3:1), the devil would have to raise his game to attack us! Sadly in my life, he often doesn’t need to try too hard to distract me, cause me to sin, or just rob me from enjoying my spiritual blessings. I know what to do; I just don’t do it enough.

Secondly, they all had slots for the castles archers to launch a defence towards the advancing enemy. Am I stretching an illustration too much to suggest that we should be using the Word of God to attack the enemy’s advances? Whenever the Lord was tempted in the wilderness, he used the Word of God against him. When we’re tempted to sin, its good if we know the bible to quote to ourselves, and remind ourselves what it is God has commanded us to avoid.

Thirdly, have you seen how thick a castle’s walls are? You’d need an awful lot of firepower to break through. If you were on the inside of the walls, you’d have a certain feeling of security. A true believer has full assurance that once they are saved, they can never be lost. It’s not because of the type of person they are, but the person they are trusting in. No matter how hard the Christians walk is, and how downbeat they can get, it’s always important to remember that “nothing will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8). How comforting is that?? The devil, our failures in the flesh, the world itself, cannot remove us from the love and position of safety of Jesus Christ.

Finally, so many castles have survived numerous invasions, and are still around today. No matter how many times you have failed the Lord, He will always be faithful! He will always protect us, because the “God who cannot lie”, has promised “there is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus”!

If you aren’t a Christian and you’ve found this blog, let me lovingly warn you that the bible says “He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” (John 3v:36) If you haven’t trusted the saviour, you aren’t under His protection. It’s the same as facing the war yourself and ignoring the safety of the castle. There is no more SECURE place to be than in Jesus Christ!

I’m sure you can all think of other verses which give you assurance. Why not list one or two in the comments section for others to read and be encouraged by? God Bless.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Dan

    What a. Great comparison from the castles to the security from God. Your writing is great as you keep it to simpler terms where anyone. Can understand and relate.
    I look forward to your future blogs as I am now a fan.

    Stephen

    Http://iamachristfollower.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete